Following up last year's 885 Greatest Albums, which itself was a sequel to 2004's 885 Greatest Songs, WXPN has launched this year's listener survey to determine the 885 Greatest Artists of all time. Dismissed as silly by some but hotly debated and agonized over by others, these surveys provide great fun during the voting and a great listen when the results get counted down on the air. Go to xpn's website to submit your top ten list which also enters you in a contest to win the complete cd catalog of each of the top three artists as voted by the listenership. Voting deadline is September 10th. Check out the xpn discussion boards which will heat up as the countdown gets closer, with real time critiques, reaction and tears as the results are revealed. Also check out xpn's staff and artist picks, and xpn's music blog.
Listener JimGPhynn of Horsham got the ball rolling very nicely on the discussion board with this post, Letterman style, of the top ten reasons not to vote for the Beatles:
- Everyone else is doing it. Be different.
- You'd be giving an effective rubber stamp to the fact that countless radio stations have overplayed most of their songs.
- Michael Jackson owns the rights to their music.
- Paul McCartney is trying to change the credits to "McCartney/Lennon" from "Lennon/McCartney"
- What the hell is a "four of fish and finger pies" anyway?
- The album 'Yellow Submarine.'
- Can you listen to the song "Birthday" without seeing that obnoxious kid from the movie Sixteen Candles? I can't.
- You've got everything you want. And your bird can sing.
- They never did answer whether or not Paul is dead.
- They just don't have the staying power of bands like Arrested Development or Strawberry Alarm Clock...
1. The Beatles
2. Stevie Wonder
Here comes the hard part, picking 8 out of the following list, each one of which seems worthy on their own of an all time top ten berth. Here's the rest of the field:
The Allman Brothers Band
Average White Band
Eric Clapton/Cream/Derek & Dominoes
Nat King Cole
John Fogerty/Creedence Clearwater Revival
Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead
Lowell George/Little Feat
Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits
Rebecca Martin/Once Blue
Swing Out Sister
Tower of Power
Brian Wilson/Beach Boys