Nouvelle Vague - Should I Stay or Should I Go? (Kwaidan Records, 2024); Call Me A Fan

Photo courtesy of Nouvelle Vague Music


I knew I'd run into these guys before, possibly on their first album, which I kind of liked. What I wasn't prepared for was, in reading the press surrounding the release of their new album, Should I Stay or Should I Go?, was the fact that they've been at it now for twenty years and that this is their eighth album. 

Nouvelle Vague was formed in France to do cover versions of post-punk and new wave classics (hence the name). They intended to cover these songs in a bossa nova style. This band has no lead singer; they prefer to assign female vocalists on a song by song basis.

I'm no expert in new wave or the British singles chart, but a listen to their new record reveals that it is not a tribute to The Clash or even political bands of that ilk. It is covers of some nicely chosen British and European hits going back to the 1970s. I could name some examples. but I don't want to spoil the opportunity to listen to it as I did, without looking at the tracklist first. Listening to it in this way will put a smile on your face more than a few times, if you let it.

"Doing bossa nova covers" would be an oversimplification of what they do. Nouvelle Vague has refined their art into a well thought out style that includes bossa nova for some tracks. Some of their covers are bossa nova adjacent and some of the songs may even use bossa nova as a jumping off point. 

I didn't know that much about Nouvelle Vague going in, but after listening to Should I Stay or Should I Go? you may call me a fan.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Main Point, 1964 - 1981

Cream and Blind Faith at the Spectrum, Philadelphia, 1968 & 1969

And We Danced - Filming the Hooters Video, 7/27/85