Mindy Smith's third and most recent album, My Holiday (2007)is not just a great Christmas album, but due to the quality of the original songs, is one of my favorite records of all time. The songwriting, the vocals, the production, all add up to a listening experience that I just can't get enough of. Early notices on Mindy's new album suggest that she's on a roll, and that the excellence continues. Here's a little preview.
From Vanguard: Stupid Lovefinds Mindy co-producing along with Ian Fitchuk and Justin Loucks. The three explore and expand with different sounds making an impressive backdrop to the thirteen tracks on the record. Written over a two year period, each song delves into the various stages of relationships; the highs, the lows, the emotional investments made, how they can change us and move forward. For Mindy, Stupid Loveis a statement of where she is now from where she has been.
Listen to "Couldn't Stand the Rain"
Here's the tracklist: 1. What Went Wrong 3:23 2. Highs And Lows 2:54 3. If I Didn't Know Any Better 3:55 4. Love Lost 4:14 5. Telescope 3:02 6. What Love Can Do 3:09 7. Couldn't Stand The Rain 4:28 8. Bad Guy 2:18 9. Surface 4:02 10. I'm Disappointed 2:30 11. True Love Of Mine 4:28 12. Love Chases After Me 4:34 13. Take A Holiday 4:18.
WXPN Most Memorable Musical Moment #5 Begining in 1964, The Main Point in Bryn Mawr provided the Philadelphia area with one of its most enjoyable venues for live music. Although it started as a folk based coffeehouse, all styles of music were presented over the years. Financial problems continually plagued the Main Point, and in spite of frequent benefit shows by artists who loved the place as much as the audience, the club finally closed in 1981. The following brief history is contained in an obituary of Jeanette O. Campbell, one of the founders and owners of the Main Point who died on October 22, 2006, written by Philadelphia Inquirer Staff Writer Sally A. Downey as reprinted on the Save Ardmore Coalition website. Jeanette Orndoff Campbell, 89, former owner of the Main Point, a music hall in Bryn Mawr where young talents including Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt and James Taylor were introduced to local audiences, died of complications from hip surgery Oct. 22 at Stap...
WXPN Most Memorable Musical Moment #3 (L-R) Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, & Eric Clapton I could not have foreseen it at the time, but looking back on a concert going history now entering it's fifth decade, my first three concerts were absolutely formative in the development of the music obsession that has driven life as we know it from that point forward. Attending a rock concert pre drivers license was no small feat, that I even got to these shows is the first indication that I knew I was onto something even if I couldn't quite explain it. I've already detailed my first concert (The Beatles at JFK Stadium) in my MMMM#1 . My second and third concerts took place at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, they were less than a year apart, and due to the fact that concerts never end at the time predicted, these concert experiences both ended with a very angry driver stuck waiting in the car outside the venue until the last encore had finished. I shot both concerts with the same starter...
Photo courtesy of themeparkreview on Twitter As a former card carrying member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE), I have spent a great deal of time considering the quality of roller coaster rides. I won't claim to having ridden them all, or even making a dent in the list of American coasters. That said, I've ridden quite a few. As a youth, I cut my teeth on the coasters at Willow Grove Park (WGP), just north of Philadelphia. Where now stands a mall of the same name, there was once an amusement park, one that was built in 1896 by a trolley company to give people a reason to ride to the end of the line. In its early days, it was known for band concerts led by John Philip Sousa. Over time, iconic amusement rides were added such as a ferris wheel, the tunnel of love, a fun house, a classic carousel and the like, and ultimately four roller coasters. One was The Wild Mouse, a factory made early metal coaster that was duplicated in many parks. The other three were classic wood...
Comments